Saturday, April 16, 2011

Satisfaction

One of the lies floating around today, whether it comes in the form of a modern teaching or simply the whisperings of the enemy, goes something like this: Jesus Christ is not enough to fulfill the longings of your heart. 
But, Psalm 107:9 says, For He satisfies the longing soul.
All throughout the Bible, Jesus Christ is shown as the perfect fulfillment of our heart; the sweetest satisfaction for the human soul.  He is called the one who fills us all in all; not the One who fills us half-way and anything I cling to other than Him is getting in the way of my heart being satisfied. 
Elizabeth Elliot said, “The difficulty is to keep a tight reign on our emotions.  They may remain, but it is not they who are to rule the action.  They have no authority.  A life lived in God is not lived on the plane of the feelings, but of the will.  In Scripture the heart is the will – the man himself, the spring of all action, the ruling power bestowed on him by his Creator, capable of choosing and acting.”  (Elizabeth Elliot, Quest for Love, page 38)

Oh, God, this cold and rusted heart IS capable of choosing You to fulfill all the longings of my soul. Rid all idols in my life. Empty me of me and empty any foolish thing my heart clings to.

This is the secret – to finding contentment no matter what our situation.  To turn down the volume of our selfish, screaming emotions and attune our ears to our King’s gentle whisper.  To yield to His strength rather than the power of our own desires. To choose to love, give, serve and pour out our lives for Him, asking nothing in return.  It’s what He did for us.  And it’s what He asks us to do for Him.

If the thought of laying everything on the altar before your King, expecting nothing in return, makes one feel apprehensive, depressed, or hopeless, you can be sure those emotions are not coming from God.  The enemy of our soul is always busy at work, trying to speak words of doom to our minds, whispering that following God’s ways will only lead to heartache, disappointment and disillusionment.  He often causes us to believe that we are surrendering to a scowling Master who takes pleasure in making us unhappy.  

But being set free is not an easy journey. It is painful. And every time I let something take the place of God in my life, I go through the process all over again. And this time it's a really hard journey....harder than most. So painful that my heart, body, soul, and mind are not allowing me to cling to the riches of Christ and turn back to Him. While me heart desires to fight until the end my body is screaming a different message. But it IS worth fighting for. The battle is worth overcoming, no matter how many casualties it makes in my own life.

Getting alone with my King, meditating upon who He really is, and allowing Him to give me His heart, His vision for the beauty of true surrender, is what needs to be done.  It’s not a doorway into misery; it’s a doorway to abundant life, joy, peace, and supernatural strength.  Remember the words of Paul: “He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not . . .  also freely give us all things?”  (Romans 8:32)  And the words of James: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.”  (James 1:17)

My life has never been flooded with so much beauty, adventure and romance as when I have been fully yielded to Jesus Christ.  Remember who He is.  His plans for me are good. They are good for all who follow after Him.  He wants to give you a hope and a future.  But first He must have your will.  And once He does, you will be able to declare with David the Psalmist:  “In Thy presence is fullness of joy  - in thy right hand are pleasures forevermore.”  (Psalm 16:11)

"All of You is more than enough for all of me-for every thirst and every need. You satisfy me with Your love. And all I have in You is more than enough."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home